Monday, November 7, 2011

Collecting Santa Face Mugs and Pitchers!

Here Comes Santa Claus!
I've posted this picture before...my newest set of Santa Face mugs.  I cannot resist them...they are so much fun.  This set of mugs if still in the box would sell for about $35.  I got these for $4.

Holt-Howard...
During the 1950s, Holt-Howard started designing Santa Claus coffee mugs and pitchers.  The company was started by John and Robert Howard and their friend, Grant Holt.  They were college students at the time and started their company with a $9,000 loan from their families.
At first they focused on Christmas items, then branched into kitchen items as well.  These mugs were so popular that they started creating coffee mugs for everyday use. They are now credited with pioneering the coffee mug as we know it today.

The mugs on the right are very small...only about two inches tall.  I found them in a box of six.  They are so cute!

Decorating with Mugs...
The picture on the left is from Country Sampler November 2004.  I was already collecting the Santa mugs when this article came out, but I decided that I was going to:
1. Buy this sink...
2. Decorate just like this.


You can't see it in this picture, but I eventually got that sink!  I'm probably the only person I know who would buy a sink just because it looks cute with Santa Mugs.  I love this Santa pitcher the most, because it has red and white stripes.
More Mugs...
The handles of these mugs spell "Noel."

These pug-nosed mugs are newer, made in Taiwan by the Price Company.

Santa Pitchers...

This pitcher and matching mugs are made by Wales.
The red cold paint is flaking off these.
Cold paint isn't fired on.

These two pitchers have the jolliest faces of all.


This page of ideas from Country Sampler shows how versatile these little guys can be. 
 I've hung them from garlands and around my front door.
I've made them into gifts for my neighbors and friends.
I'm planning to make a wreath this year...if I get around to it.
They're Merry...
They're Bright...
And they're inexpensive!
If you come across their cute little faces...take them home.

 I'm Thankful...
I wish to express how grateful I am to be a member of this blogging community.  I never realized what a diverse and fascinating world it is.  I have met so many new people through Zetta's Aprons...more than I ever expected.  My fellow bloggers are delightful women who paint such charming scenes of their lives and the parts of the country they call home.  Thank you for welcoming me to your neighborhood.  I'll return the cookie plate when I've washed it...

Bless you all...


9 comments:

pattipie said...

I actually thought that WAS your sink. All the mugs are sooooo cute. Love it!

Lynn said...

oh Shirley,
I am in heaven!! Can I come spend some Christmas time at your home?? I so love those Santa mugs. I got nosy and went browsing in your crafts page!! I am turning green as I type. I am so coveting one of those Santa Mugs with the bottle brush tree in them!! Wow, what a sweet gift!! Don't get me started on how many of those snowman gift jars and boxes I would love to have sitting in my kitchen, on my mantle, in my bedroom above the french doors, and even the glass tray on my bathroom vanity!! Okay, I am going to go now so I can get back to my usual pale shade of skin!!
hugs,

Unknown said...

sweet santas...I enjoyed your post all about them. i have a pair of Herbert/Holt angels that I got when I was one year old my parents gave them to me to keep. I think they are candle rings or napkin rings I just love them.

- KAT -

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Ho Ho Ho! Happy Santas! What a Jolly bunch you have there. I recognize a few of those mugs from my childhood. My mom surely still has them in her cupboard. I think I will ask to take them out! It's wonderful for you to share this collection. I think it brings out the kid in all of us!
Hugs,
Susie

Betsy said...

I love these Santa mugs too. Last year I to a set of 6 for a steal. I saw some in the Farm Chicks Christmas book too. It was so interesting to read their history. I SO envy your sink! I want one so badly, but it won't work in my current kitchen. One of these days!

Linda Ruthie said...

Cute! Cute! Cute!
Once in a while, I spot one of these Santa mugs at the flea markets. I have to control myself and leave them for someone else. I do have two Santa boots that belonged to my grandmother. I love those.
It seems I haven't visited for a while. I had to read back all the way to your 'Sisters' post. Now I need want to pop White Christmas into the VHS player. I am enjoying seeing all your vintage Christmas goodies.

Shara said...

I've been reading your blog for a bit, but haven't commented before. Sorry about that! But, I had to share my story of my Great Grandmother's Santa face mugs - http://mydealoftheday.blogspot.com/2010/09/stuff-stuff-stuffi-am-stuffed-out.html

Stop by my blog - we collect a lot of the very same things! Shara

Sarah Coller said...

How sweet! I featured my three tiny Santa mugs on my vintage Saturday linkup this weekend and then my mom found your post today! Fun! Merry Christmas!

Sarah Coller said...

How sweet! I featured my three tiny Santa mugs on my vintage Saturday linkup this weekend and then my mom found your post today! Fun! Merry Christmas!