Friday, April 8, 2016

Baby Dot...Vintage Baby Powder Doll!

Vintage Baby!
I love the soft colors of vintage baby cards!

When I was expecting my third daughter Sascha in the 1980's I was mad for all things Vintage Baby!
I decorated her nursery corner with vintage baby dresses hanging on the wall and a vignette of baby care items on her dresser...little pink containers for cotton balls and baby pins, tiny brush and comb.  Every thing for Sascha was soft aqua and pink.  I still love the soft colors of vintage baby cards and baby care items like baby powder containers.  Some of the graphics are amazing...I only had the basic Johnson's Baby Powder.

The variety is endless!

My friend Dorothy sent me a pin one day...a vintage baby tin that I immediately felt needed to be repurposed into one of my vintage tin characters.  I wrote back that it needed a doll head and arms. From her response of "Mercy!" I gathered that it sounded a bit creepy...lol!  I already had an old composition Patsy doll that was in pretty bad shape.  The sawdust and glue was starting to deteriorate so I though it might be fun for a creepy Halloween project.

I found a darling baby powder container from 1936 at a Salt Lake antique mall.  The brand was "Baby Dot."  I wish I had taken a pic of the container before I transformed it.

Baby Dot!
She's about 8 inches tall.

Close-up of Powder Container

Rear View

Side View
The top of Patsy's head was crumbling.
The bonnet is made from a vintage plastic Easter party favor.

So that's the story behind Baby Dot.  I went on a tin buying binge yesterday, so there will be some odd new characters coming up in the next few months.  It is so strange when Easter is in March.  It leaves April all dressed up with no place to go.  I leave up a lot of my spring decor until Mother's Day, so things look cheerful even when it's a rainy day.  Spring is definitely taking her time this year as I know many of you will attest.

Happy Spring!

PS: Some darling vintage baby images for you...









5 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh Baby Dot is adorable! What a cute idea. I had my first 2 babies in the late '60s and some of those baby cards look like ones I received. I love everything vintage to and found a baby doll at the thrift store this week. I went to the check out as fast as I could! lol Hugs!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh baby, do I ever love dot! I too have a thing for vintage baby items as well. Do not have a single tin though. They are precious!! When my oldest daughter had her baby we did the room vintage. I have some of the stuff now. Plus of course, I've added to it. My middle daughter recently borrowed them for a baby shower and they were a big hit. You are so clever my friend!!
Hugs,
Jann

Margaret said...

happy Spring Shirley!

vivian said...

OH my goodness Shirley! I love your baby dot! Now I feel like I need to go out and find an old tin like yours and make myself one! too stinking cute!
happy sunday
xoxo
vivian

Musings from Kim K. said...

You are so darn clever! Baby dot is just delightful. I also decorated Emma's nursery with all sorts of vintage baby items. I've saved them all in a box. I hope someday she will enjoy them as much as I did. Hugs!