Thursday, July 30, 2015

George's Sunflowers...Garden DIY!

Sunflowers...My Late Summer Love!

Sunflowers have always symbolized to me the golden days of late summer.  Of all the months of summer I love August the most...especially toward the end of the month as it segues into September.  The days are still hot, but the light is shifting.  Purple Sage plants are busy with bees and Back-to-School banners drape bustling store fronts.  I cannot wait for fall!

Don't you just love the bright faces of sunflowers?  They are all sunny and hopeful like the faces of dogs going on a car ride.  There is no disguising the pure joy.  And I love the way their faces follow the sun as it moves across the sky.  They know where the light comes from.  Maybe we should turn our faces to the skies more often to follow the Light.


George's Rock Garden and Sunflowers...

Deck from Rock Garden
Fire pit is handy for burning a few weeds...lol!

For many years the northwest corner of our backyard sat empty and full of weeds.  We just couldn't figure out what to do with it.  It wasn't until a few years ago after we added a kitchen addition onto the back of the house and built a covered deck that George finally figured out what it needed...a pergola!  It took a couple of years, but once the pergola was finished, he designed a rock garden around it with paving stones, tall grasses and a fire pit for the grandkids.  It's not a huge area, but it is pleasant to sit on the deck and enjoy in the evening.


Rock garden pergola with George's first sunflower in background.
The wagon holds wood for the fire pit.

We've been collecting various rustic odds and ends on our travels in Nevada and Arizona.  George has crafted seating for the fire pit out of old milk cans and tractor seats.  Our favorite antique store in Oatman, Arizona has supplied us with most of our treasures, like rusty wheels and an old water pump.  On one visit George found some old cultivator blades that looked like the sun's rays.  That was all it took.  This would be the summer of the sunflower. He has made three in all.  Now he says he is ready to move on to making a fountain out of his water pump.  This should be interesting...stay tuned.

Sunflower One...
We found an old wrought iron candle stand at Treasure's Antiques.
George thought the curly-cue flourishes suggested leaves.


The jagged top of the candle holder became the center of the flower.
All of his flowers are made to rotate...if they so desire.

Sunflower Two...

Different style of culivator blade.
I found the fancy black piece at George's grandma's old house.
Two-toned petals remind me of those brown sunflowers from the seed packet up at the top of the page.

Side by side.  
The taller is about 6 ft. in height, while the other is about 4 ft. tall.

Sunflower Three...
The ones I love the best...wild sunflowers on the side of the road.

We have always loved the wild sunflowers that grow along the side of the road...mostly country roads.  We used to have more of them nearby, but more and more building and development has caused them to disappear from the neighborhood...along with pheasants and meadowlarks, my favorite song bird.  A couple of weeks ago, on a drive, George mentioned he'd like to make one more sunflower...a wild sunflower with multiple stems and heads.  For the blossoms, he took apart two long-handled cultivators from Home Depot.  We got the leaves from Metal Mart in Lehi.  This was not a junk project.  He had to buy all new materials this time.  But it turned out great!


I feel he really captured the spirit of the wild sunflowers.


Of course they can spin...if they wanted to.



Thanks for letting me share George's artwork with you!
I'm not proud of him at all...lol!



5 comments:

laura said...

I have always loved you and Uncle George's beautiful projects! Maybe one day I can get some materials and if he will make me one! I think that is one of many things we share a passion for. I love seeing them everywhere. It is one of the things that makes me smile three way they move towards the sun. I hate it when people call them weeds because they represent such beauty and brighten up the world. They brighten up my life and make me smile! I love it when Mike speeded l surprises me with them! I love you and Uncle George. You know how to make things brighter and more inviting. You truly are s wonderful Aunt! Sorry if this is long and cheesy. I just really wanted to share how I feel about sunflowers and how wonderful you are! I love you so much.

Musings from Kim K. said...

I didn't realize your husband was as talented as you are! I just love his sunflower sculptures. What a fun and inviting area for relaxing and entertaining. Happy "almost" August!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What gorgeous pictures, and those are all so very cute!!! Such amazing work on each cute flower! Perfect for backyard fun!! :) Happy week-end! xo Holly

Margaret said...

How wonderful! Sunflowers are my favorite flower. They greet you with bright smiling faces! I love them real and artificial ones too! George is a very talented man! Maggie

Tammy's in Love said...

Perfect Pergola and PERFECT view of the sunflowers! YEA George!