Friday, February 28, 2014

Easter Mash-Up...Crafting With Vintage Potato Mashers!




Any nest can make a cozy home!
 
Why do I love birds nests so much?  It's almost a theme in my home...but I never made a conscious decision to decorate with birds, nests, cages and bird houses.  Just now I counted over 25 different bird-related items in just my bedroom and master bath...and heaven only knows how many are in the rest of my house.  When I was little, some of my favorite pictures were of pretty nests in a blossoming tree.
 
Pictures that give me hope for Spring.
 
When a new mother-to-be fusses over her nursery, sewing tiny clothes and tidying up her home, we call it "Nesting." If I could choose a symbol of what "Home" means to me...I'm sure it would be a nest...a place of safety and warmth with Mother and Father watching over and providing for their chicks.

Easter "Pinspiration" 
Isn't this the sweetest and most unique nest yet?
I am continually amazed at the creativity of my fellow crafters!
I found it on Pinterest...made by Vikkis Vintageworks on Etsy. 
This one has sold, but she has several more...as cute or cuter!
 
My Version...
I have made two so far...one for me and one for my sister's birthday.
I chose colors to go with our vintage kitchen décor.
She seldom reads my blog so I'm not worried she'll see it here.
 
A baby chick for Patti...

Beautiful bunnies for me...
 
Vintage chicken was a swap gift from a blogger friend...


Fun little hand mixer...
 
Over Valentine's weekend I went on an antique store quest in Vegas and Oatman, Arizona for potato mashers and I found four to add to the two I had on hand.  I plan to make four more for gifts.  I will probably use more traditional Easter colors on those.  And I have some smaller nests that will fit inside some little tart tins.  I have really enjoyed seeing holiday crafts made with unusual or re-purposed items on Pinterest.  I bet I could get more blog posts done if I'd give Pinterest a little rest...lol!

Simple, simple little garland...rick rack, scrapbook paper circles and vintage images.
 
Happy March...It's only a day away!



11 comments:

LBP said...

Oh My Goodness they are the cutest potato mashers ever! I hope you don't mind if I borrow (steal) your idea. My sister would love this! I am making a garland too, though mine is not quite finished. Love seeing your Spring crafts.

Linda

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Oh my how cute!! I kept seeing that masher on pinterest and really liked it! I love yours and the chippy red handle!! Such a sweet garland too!! :) Maybe spring will come tomorrow!?! :) xo Holly

Swanky Salvage Decor said...

So adorable! I love all of them! Thinking I may have to start digging around in the garage as I know I have some mashers.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Very sweet gift for you and your sister:) I love birds too:) I did hear them a couple of weeks ago. I should put out my feeders for them since there is too much snow.
Love them and I think that I should get out my craft supplies and make some Easter/spring things!
warmly,
deb

Mariah said...

Shirley

Very cute... You did a wonderful job. I'm sure your sister will love it

Unknown said...

Oh what a sweet idea! I love the masher with the red handle and your pink ric rac banner is so pretty!

Tammy's in Love said...

Love it! Those 'tater mashers' ala chick are the perfect Easter / spring first craft!

Unknown said...

Sisters from other mothers....I saw that on Pinterest and I have bought a couple of the mashers too! So cute and yours are adorable like always! Seems a quick and fun project, not too overwhelming...:) Love the banner also....
Hugs, Sandy

Patti said...

Ohhhhhh! So cute! What a sweet sister you are!

Musings from Kim K. said...

Absolutely adorable. I think I might have to borrow that idea too. I'll be sending this post off to my mother and sister. I'm so ready for spring-inspired crafts. Thank you for sharing.

Pollyanna said...

Such cute decorated mashers ... love them. Also, I seriously think I am going to copy your spring garland with the scalloped circles on rick rack ... of course I always love your art!!