Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Roadside Oddities...International Car Forest!

Random Acts of Art in the Desert!
CarHenge!


On New Year's Eve we took a drive on Highway 95 seeking for roadside oddities.  Our goal was the little town of Goldfield Nevada, home to the "International Car Forest of the Lost Church"...or as we called it, "CarHenge."  On a snowy and wind-swept hillside we found a collection of abandoned vehicles...cars, busses, and vans buried in the ground like they were thrown down by a giant child in the midst of a giant temper tantrum.  There was no sign on the highway directing us...we later found the sign propped up on a junked car at the entrance to the site.



I've never been to the Cadillac Ranch near Amarillo, Texas on Route 66, but I know that the designs on the painted Cadillacs are constantly changing...would-be taggers are encouraged to bring along their spray paint and their artistic ability...or lack thereof.  I was amazed by some of the artwork on the vehicles at the Car Forest.  I would like to share a few of the photos I took with my new camera...thanks, Santa!

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...
 I loved the colors and patterns on this car!

Modern Art?

Nite Owl Truck...

Owl eyes were everywhere....

Watching us...

Here...

Limo hitches a ride on a Meadow Gold Truck...


 Owl Eyes there...



What's holding up the bus?


The Art of the Spray Can...



Bizarre and oddly beautiful...
Is that Alice in handcuffs?

Strange faces with eyes that follow you...

These were just a few of the images that I liked the best.  I hope if you ever travel that stretch of highway north from Las Vegas that you will stop and maybe get out your spray cans and indulge your inner artist.  Maybe you will be the next Banksy.


Playing around with effects on PicMonkey.
This gate is on a parking lot in Beatty, Nevada.
It has it's own story that I will tell you some time!

Thanks for joining me on this Vintage Vacation!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

took a LOT of work to get some of those in the ground...

Margaret said...

Always interesting to me what is classified as art but I do like the fact they are awesome to see. Love, Maggie

Unknown said...

Very interesting post.
http://grsshoes.com/

Clipping Solutions said...


Thanks a lot for sharing your valuable post with us
clipping path service

Photo Editing Services
raster to vector conversion service