Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Route 66 State of Mind...Williams Arizona!

My Route 66 Weekend...
Things go better with Coke!
We've traveled quite a bit the last two months on our endless exploration of the Desert Southwest.  Before I get into my latest Vintage Vacation post, I want to show you what awaited me upon my return.  Couldn't you just die!  It will be the highlight of my covered deck.  A few months ago,  I showed my DIL Lori a picture on Pinterest of a dresser that was repurposed into a faux Coke machine.  I've wanted the "Real Thing" for many years, but they are increasingly outrageously priced.  "I can make this," she told me...and she did!  She is so unbelievably talented...and she is so nice to me.  I don't deserve her.  This was the best ending to my Route 66 Weekend. 
Left side with bottle opener!

The right side...love Lori's stenciling!
Thank you so much, Lori, for making my Coke Machine dream come true!

Vintage Vacations...Route 66 

Williams, Arizona!
Williams...Gateway to the Grand Canyon.

We travel to the Grand Canyon at least once a year, but we never turned right and ventured into the town of Williams.  It was such a cute little vintage town...reminded me of Radiator Springs, "Gateway to Ornament Valley."  The two main streets were one-way only.  There was a wonderful train station where you can book a ride to the Grand Canyon.  I hope to try it one day!

Another tourist town bypassed by the freeway...but it's worth the detour!

I loved seeing the US 66 signs everywhere.


Fun signs, curio shops and the King!

I couldn't wait to find Cruiser's diner-themed bar & grill.
My pal, Tammy blogged about this here Tammy's in Love when she visited the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago.

Cruiser's

Cruiser's Community Bulletin Board...

Another view of patio dining area.

Cool, cool Chevy coming through the wall.

Wished the food was as great as the décor.
The bathroom stalls were made out of truck tail gates...yikes!
Some of the ladies didn't like the curtains that acted as doors on the stalls.


I hope you enjoyed this little detour off I-40 onto Route 66.
The Mother Road also ran through historic downtown Flagstaff...but that's another post!














6 comments:

Beth said...

Wow I love that dresser, she did an amazing job, now I want one! I also want to do the Route 66 tour but I don't see that happening soon...thanks for taking me on the road trip with you!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Oh my gosh I love love that dresser!! It seriously looks amazing!! I didn't even think it was a dresser at first, such a beautiful and unique piece to have!! Such fun and wonderful pictures, the Route 66 seems so neat, hopefully one day we will get to visit it and enjoy the experiences! :) Wishing you a happy new week!! xo Holly

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh Shirley, that dresser!!! I'm dying!! Your DIL is so talented and that is just a treasure. You will be the envy of everyone who comes on your porch!

Musings from Kim K. said...

That dresser is just amazing! What a special treasure! Your DIL is so talented. Williams AZ was one of our absolute favorite stops on our Route 66 trip two summers ago. We loved everything about that town.

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

WOW, your daughter did an amazing job on that dresser!!! Very special indeed. I think a trip on Route 66 would be fun.
Thanks for visiting me :)
warmly,
deb

DearHelenHartman said...

LOVE LOVE everything about this blog! What an amazing job on the dresser. And do love RT 66