Thursday, June 21, 2012

Midsummer Moonlight!





A Midsummer Night's Dream...
Yesterday was Summer Solstice...the first day of summer.  It seemed like a good time to redecorate my front door...I was getting a little tired of the Spring Birds theme I had going.  But what was I going to replace it with?  One summer I hung vintage kitchen utensils and crocheted potholders around the door...but that was soooo 2008!  I started thinking about my favorite thing about a summer's night...moonlight! 


The Full (moon) Treatment...

Using a variety of moon images...some I found at Graphics Fairy ...I made some friendly wooden moon plaques. I added one to the wreath, with glittery silver letters...and of course...there must be a snowy owl.  I've added white flowers to glow in the moonlight.  Usually I am decorating with sunflowers by midsummer...so this is a fun change.

Garland Detail...
The moon-like globes  are actually small earth globes I found in the fun Michaels bins.  They had classic blue earths and pale versions.  It would be cool if they were really the moon...but hey...beggars can't be choosers.  Close enough!

To hang them, I painted some old spools and beads and glued them to the tops of the globes.  I wasn't sure how everything would work out...but I was pleased with the result.  Later this summer I may switch to Olde Crows and Sunflowers. 

A Few Miscellaneous Projects...

Pillow covers made from barkcloth remnants.  The bird fabric has been in my stash for years.

Kenzie's Pillow...shhh! It's a surprise.
My granddaughters change their room decor about as often as I change my front door. =D This month the theme is "Under the Sea."  Kenzie's comforter will have swimming Clown Fish along with a variety of colorful fishes...so I thought she might like a Nemo pillow.  Of course this means I have to make 7 more pillows...one must be fair to the other Grands.

The darling tiny doll I got from Laurie of Magpie Ethel.
Only a few inches tall, I was amazed at the detail of Laurie's work.
You should visit her Etsy shop for even more red, white and blue fun.

Have a productive day, dear friends. 
I'm trying to keep busy so I don't snack so much!



20 comments:

Swanky Salvage Decor said...

Someone has been a busy girl! Your front door looks so pretty. What a way to welcome summer! The pillows are great, and I love, love, love the tiny doll.

Tammy

My Vintage Mending said...

Beautiful look at the door. I love your darling Magpie Ethel girl. She is so super cute....enjoy your busy weekend and all your crafting...smiles..Renee

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

That is very UNIQUE!!! It's fun to see how creative gals can be!
Nice pillows. Cute little 4th doll that you have.
deb

DearHelenHartman said...

Your door looks stunning - I love the faces of the man in the moon and the way you put them all together. Out of this world!

Jenny's Heart said...

ooooo I love your doorway! I also wanted to let you know I got the tags today from Elizabeth's swap and I LOVE the one from you! I LOVE Elephants and the circus theme just makes me smile :)
I can't wait to swap with you again.
X's & O's,
Jenny

Linda Ruthie said...

Your door is beautiful and such an unusual theme.

laurie -magpie ethel said...

The little patriotic gal went to the perfect home! She is sure a cutie...happy red, white and blue!

LBP said...

I love your door! I want to come knocking! Right now my door has nothing on it. Zip, zero, zilch! Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will have something patriotic! Your pillows are beautiful too! Love the Nemo one. Grandgirly is goig to love it! Laurie's creations are something else aren't they?

Have a great weekend!

Linda

LBP said...

I love your door! I want to come knocking! Right now my door has nothing on it. Zip, zero, zilch! Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will have something patriotic! Your pillows are beautiful too! Love the Nemo one. Grandgirly is goig to love it! Laurie's creations are something else aren't they?

Have a great weekend!

Linda

vintage grey said...

Love all your pretty decorations! The door is so beautiful, and Laurie's girl is so sweet! Have a lovely weekend! xo Heather

Unknown said...

Wow, you are so creative. Beautiful door, I love it.
Dorothy

Unknown said...

Good morning Shirley, What inspiration you have given to start my week. Your moon garland is absolutely wonderful!!!! I love that the moons are so big. Happy visiting here! Elizabeth

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

The moon garland is really amazing and unique! You sure are creative. I love your little doll that you bought from Laurie! I might need to visit her shop soon! Thank you for sharing! :)
Erica

Perfectly Printed said...

Love your front door!

chris

Unknown said...

Hi Shirley! I so hope you saw my post about creating a Friendship Garland. I would be so honored to have a blog banner from you. It has been so exciting for me to watch you come to love paper art. I adore visiting your blog for vintage inspiration. I do hope you will consider! Elizabeth

Unknown said...

Shirley,
I am writing to see if you would like to trade a banner with me also.....I so adore your blog!!!! And I have waited years to do this! Elizabeth has our community all a flutter! FUN! Let me know, I would be honored to send you one of mine....Sandy @ 521Lake Street

Unknown said...

Shirley,
I am writing to see if you would like to trade a banner with me also.....I so adore your blog!!!! And I have waited years to do this! Elizabeth has our community all a flutter! FUN! Let me know, I would be honored to send you one of mine....Sandy @ 521Lake Street

Unknown said...

Hi Shirley! I am doing the Happy Dance here! I am honored you will be making a banner for my garland, and me one for you. You don't need to make any for the ladies on my list, but if you would like to extend your banner from two, ask your special friends to one-on-one with you. They may or may not be making quite a few already; so hurry! I know Sandy has ten spots on her garland.
Again, Happy Elizabeth

Unknown said...

I am soooo glad to see Sandy has been here twice! I don't feel so bad for thrice! I would love to send you these extras from my kit. The only item there wasn't enough of was the tinsel. I hope you have some "hanging" around. I have your address, but I've actually run out of tape. I will post to you on Monday! Elizabeth

Chenille Cottage said...

How did I miss this wonderful post?? I think your front door deserves a twenty three moon salute!! And, oh those delightful pillows! You are a terrific grandma, Shirley.
How I love your little patriotic dolly...Magpie Ethel is amazing!
I do hope you are feeling better, my sweet friend!
Blessings,
Carolynn xo